Framework Law on Mobility
The objective of the law is to transform the overarching framework of transport policy towards more accessible, more affordable and cleaner transport modes.
The law builds on three pillars:
- Invest more and better in public transit (with a 40% increase in funding between 2017-2022 compared to 2012-2017, prioritizing existing networks over new infrastructure projects, and giving priority to the rail system).
- Faciliate and promote the development of new solutions to enable all citizens to access transportation services.
- Initiate the transition towards cleaner mobility.
The third pillar will be enacted through a set of clear policies, programs and targets:
- The goal of road transport carbon neutrality by 2050 enshrined in the law, in accordance with the French Climate Plan which translates the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement. This goal will follow a clear trajectory: - 37.5% CO2 emissions reductions by 2030 and the ban on the sale of fossil fuel ICE cars by 2040.
- A conversion bonus and the possibility of charging electric vehicles everywhere, aiming at multiplying by 5 by 2022 the public charging points through:
- mandatory equipment in some car parks
- establishment of a right to access to a plug
- reducing by half the installation cost
- A brand new bike plan to triple the share of travel by bicycle:
- creation of a € 350m bike fund
- fight against theft with the gradual generalization of bicycle registration and secure parking
- creation of a sustainable mobility package
- teaching how to ride bikes in schools
- A plan to make carpooling a solution on a daily basis, by:
- allowing local jurisdictions to subsidize carpoolers
- opening the possibility of creating reserved lanes in the vicinity of metropolises
- implementing a sustainable mobility package
- Low emissions areas for imporved air quality, allowing local jurisdictions to limit traffic to less polluting vehicles, according to criteria of their choice. Already 23 municipalities, comprising more than 17 million inhabitants, are involved in the process
- The contribution of the most polluting modes to the financing of sustainable modes of transport:
- reduction of 2 cents of the exemption of Domestic Tax on Consumption of Energy Products (TICPE) for trucks
- unprecedented ecotax on the aviation sector
Want to know more about this policy ? Learn more (French)