The white paper sets strategic goals for the energy sector of the Brunei Darussalam and provides broad guidelines for achieving these targets in the form of key priority initiatives.
According to the whitepaper, Brunei Darussalam produced around 1,700 MWh from renewable energy sources in 2014 and plans to increase this to:
• 124,000 MWh by 2017, which will be 2.7% of the electricity generation mix.
• 954,000 MWh by 2035, which will be 10% of the electricity generation mix.
The white paper provides the general outline of the activities to achieve the abovementioned targets. It identifies four key priority initiatives:
• Introduce Renewable Energy Policy and Regulatory Frameworks
• Scale-up Market Deployment of Solar PV and Promote Waste-to-Energy Technologies
• Raise Awareness and Promote Human Capacity Development
• Support Research, Development and Demonstration (RD&D) and Technology Transfer