The objectives of the Renewable Energy Policy for Bangladesh are to:
- Harness the potential of renewable energy resources and dissemination of renewable energy technologies in rural, peri-urban and urban areas;
- Enable, encourage and facilitate both public and private sector investment in renewable energy projects;
- Develop sustainable energy supplies to substitute indigenous non-renewable energy supplies;
- Scale up contributions of renewable energy to electricity production;
- Scale up contributions of renewable energy both to electricity and to heat energy.
The main goal is develop renewable energy sources to meet 5% of total power demand by 2015 and 10% by 2020.