Under the EU Directive 2009/28/EC member countries of the European Union are obliged to draft and submit to the European Commission National Renewable Action Plans (NREAPs) outlining pathway which will allow them to meet their 2020 renewable energy, energy efficiency and GHG cuts targets.
Greece 2020 renewable energy targets:
- Overall target: 18% of share of energy generated from renewable sources in gross final energy consumption;
- Heating and cooling: 20% of heat consumption met by renewable sources;
- Electricity: 40% of electricity demand met by electricity generated from renewable energy sources;
- Transport: 10% of energy demand met by renewable energy sources.
In order to achieve above enlisted targets Greece runs following incentive schemes:
- Feed-in tariff scheme;
- Public administration building obligations for solar water heaters;
- Energy efficiency measures;
- Tax reliefs;