Created in 2007 by Petrobras. The objective of the initiative is to provide technological solutions to reduce the intensity of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions in its processes and products, in order to guarantee the sustainability of its business and contribute to the mitigation of global climate change.
Energy Efficiency projects related to gas recovery in Platforms, motor-driven units optimization, heat exchange optimization, advanced process control, among others, were implemented internally by Petrobras. Energy Efficiency R&D activities were in the scope of PROCLIMA Programme. Other Energy efficiency initiatives, related to energy use in office buildings are within the scope of the overall Petrobras Energy Policy.
Achievements in the 2009-20015 cycle:
- 73.8 millions tons of CO2 avoided;
- increase of 20% in the use of gas;
- 74% reduction in flare emissions;
- reduction of 25% in carbon intensity (kg CO2e/boe);
- 3 million tons co2 reinjected;
- reduction of 19% of gas to flare from 2014 to 2015; and
- impleemtnation of more efficient powe generation cycles (combined cycles) in 3 power plants.