The Department of the Environment, Climate and Communications and the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) announced in 2023 the expansion of its Support Scheme for Renewable Heat (SSRH).
The following changes will be implemented in the scheme, subject to final State aid approval:
- The maximum support for heat pump installations will be increased to 40% of costs from the current level of 30%.
- The maximum support for biomass applications will remain at EUR 3.5 million over 15 years.
- The scheme will be expanded to large industries and fossil fuel users under the EU Emission Trading System.
- Support will be provided for heat pumps that use waste heat sources, high-temperature applications, and for the wider application of heat pumps in buildings and district heating schemes.
- Additional upgrade measures in buildings will be supported to facilitate the installation of heat pumps.