As more countries are setting ambitious net zero goals to accelerate their shifts to clean energy, the success of these transitions will be underpinned by efforts to enable citizens to benefit from the opportunities and navigate the disruptions. This includes social and economic impacts on workers and communities, as well as issues of affordability and fairness.
This high-level webinar aims to bring together the perspectives of governments and labour unions to share best practices and insights regarding the important role of social dialogue, planning and policies to ensure clean energy transitions deliver diverse and good quality job opportunities, community and regional development, and social protection.
The discussion will inform the work of the Global Commission on People-Centred Clean Energy Transitions, which was convened by the IEA and will make recommendations in advance of COP26 later this year.
- Chaired by Muriel PENICAUD, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of France to the OECD, Former Minister of Labour, France
- Dr. Fatih BIROL, Executive Director, International Energy Agency
- Samson Gwede MANTASHE, Minister of Mineral Resources and Energy, South Africa
- Sharan BURROW, General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation
- Jorge RIVERA STAFF, Energy Secretary, Panamá
- Martha NEWTON, Deputy Director-General for Policy, International Labour Organization
- Shoya YOSHIDA, General Secretary, International Trade Union Confederation Asia-Pacific
This will be followed by an expert panel discussion. Confirmed speakers include:
- Derek BROWER, US Energy Editor, Financial Times
- Maria EMENINTA, Head of International Department, Indonesian Workers Welfare Union
- Brad MARKELL, Executive Director, AFL-CIO Industrial Union Council
- Dave MOXHAM, Deputy General Secretary, Scotland Trades Union Congress
- Anne-Beth SKREDE, Advisor, Department of Business and Industrial Policy, Norwegian Confederation of Trade Unions
- Samantha SMITH, Director of the Just Transition Center, International Trade Union Confederation