This workshop was the first in a series that provides input to the How2Guide for Bioenergy – a manual for policy and decision makers for the development and implementation of bioenergy technology roadmaps that are tailored to national frameworks, resources and capacities.
The event was organized by the International Energy Agency (IEA) in the framework of the International Low-Carbon Energy Technology Platform, in collaboration with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations’ (FAO) Bioenergy and Food Security Projects (BEFS). The workshop was organized with the support of the South African National Energy Development Institute (SANEDI), the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership (REEEP), the South African Sugar Association (SASA), the Netherlands Enterprise Agency (RVO) and the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA). This workshop focused on the Southern African region and in particularly on the use of waste-to-energy and biogas.
Concept note on the Bioenergy How2Guide
Final agenda, participant list, photos:
Group pictureof workshop participants
Session 3: Energy valorization of biomass waste
Session 4: Sustainable production and use of biogas
Site visits: Bisasar Landfill and Green Grid Energy
- Simone Landolina and Adam Brown, IEA
- Kees Kwant, IEA Bioenergy Implementing Agreement
- Irini Maltsoglou , FAO
Moderator and introductive presentation: Gerry Ostheimer, Novozymes / SE4ALL
- Medhat El-Helepi, UNECA: Policy Framework and Guidelines for the Sustainable Development of Bioenergy in Africa
- Thembakazi Mali, SANEDI: Overview of biomass resources, policies and technologies in South Africa
- Rajabu Ngoma Mtunze, Ministry of Agriculture Food Security and Cooperatives, Tanzania: Bioenergy policies and strategies in Tanzania
Moderator: Jason Schäffler, Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Partnership
- Mark Gordon, Department of Environment, South Africa The potential of valorisation of biomass waste - solid/organic; and sewage (examples of pilot projects)
- John Parkin, City Council of Durban: case study of Durban as national hub for use of biomass waste: Bisasar Landfill
- Kees Kwant, Bioenergy Implementing Agreement: key recommendations from the workshop on waste-to-energy held in South Africa in May 2013
- Gracia Munganga, GreenCape: Lessons from integrated development of waste economy in the Western Cape.
Moderator: Jean-Francois Dallemand, European Commission – Joint Research Centre
- Ana Kojakovic, FAO: Application of BEFS RA tools: Potential for rural electrification through gasification of crop residues in Malawi
- Prema Govender and Sofja Giljova, GIZ: the "Waste to Energy" flagship programme and the “South African Biogas Platform”
- Mark Tiepelt,South Africa Biogas Association: Barriers and opportunities experienced in the biogas industry in South Africa and possible solutions
- Binama Tshingana, Ministry of Energy, Congo (absent):Congo’s experience in producing and using biogas
- Dave Long, PAMSA: keynote presentation on biomass resources and business case for biomass cogeneration in Southern Africa
- Derek Naidoo, Green Grid Energy: Bamboo to Energy Project
- Kees Kwant, Key lessons for bioenergy technology deployment, experiences with pilot projects in Southern Africa
- Rethabile Melamu, Bio2Watt: Biomass chains for biogas projects from residues and wastes in South Africa.
- Benedito Diogo Lopes Chembeze, Ministry of Energy Mozambique: Overview of bioenergy resources, technologies and policies in Mozambique
Site visit organised by the eThekwini Municipalityat Bisasar Landfill (site description)
Site visit organised by the Green Grid Energy (short description)