The Strategy guides the Government of the Northwest Territories’ (GNWT) actions to promote the use of solar energy technologies in the Northwest Territories (NWT). The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (ENR) is responsible for coordinating actions described in the Strategy. ENR will work with other GNWT departments, power utility companies, communities, businesses and consumers to implement all actions, and finance actions that are particularly resource intensive.
This Strategy is part of overall actions currently underway to support the targets and goals of the NWT Energy Plan and A Greenhouse Gas Strategy for the Northwest Territories 2011-2015 (Greenhouse Gas Strategy), including reduced dependence on imported fossil fuels by developing local renewable energy sources in ways that reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- Increase education and awareness of solar energy technologies for residents, businesses, communities, government departments and public power utility companies.
- Develop policies and guidelines to reduce institutional barriers to solar energy technology deployment in the NWT.
- Assist public power utility companies to advance solar-diesel hybrid systems in communities.
- Promote the use of battery-based solar charging systems in remote ‘off-grid’ applications.
- Increase the monitoring of solar energy systems to measure and assess their performance.