The renewable energy auction programme of Argentina (RenovAr) was set in motion with Resolution No. 136/2016, which:
- Launches an auction process so that bidders can apply to the first round of RenovAr program
- Approves the bidding terms and conditions of the auction, and
- Approves the Power Purchase Agreements (PPA) for renewable electricity.
The resolution builds upon the framework defined by Decree 531 and Law 27.191.
The first round of RenovAr auctions was announced in July 2016. All bidders were asked to comply with several requirements, including:
- Provide evidence of: proprietary rights over the site location; relevant environmental licenses and permits; acceptable and certified assessment of resources report.
- Prove that they have a minimum capital of USD 250,000/MW of power tendered; and provide acceptable guarantees for maintaining the offer (USD 35,000/MW); and fulfilling the contract (USD 250,000/MW).
- Have at least 12 months of measurement data.
The summaries of the auction results:
Capacity Bid (MW)
Capacity Contracted (MW)
Average Price (USD/MWh)
Minimum Price (USD/MWh)
RenovAr 1st round tender – winning projects
Name of the project
Average price of awarded PPA
Vientos del Secano
García del Río
Central Térmica Loma La Lata, a subsidiary of Pampa Energía
Pan American Energy and 3-Gal
Consortium Enat-SEG-Otamendi-Nuevo Cerro Dragón
Vientos Los Hércules
1st,2nd and 3rd solar parks (each park 100 MW)
Fieldfare and Isolux Corsan
4th solar park
123 bids were submitted, for a total capacity of 6,346 MW: the wind capacity was nearly six-time oversubscribed (3,469 MW), while the solar capacity was 9-times oversubscribed (2,813 MW). Winning projects received contracts for period of 20 years. The selected projects must be completed in a timeframe of two years.
Given huge participation and low bidding prices, government decided to hold a second round of auctions (called RenovAr 1.5) in mid-November 2016 for additional 400 MW of wind and 200 MW of solar PV capacity. Only companies that qualified in the first round of auction, but failed to win a contract, can participate in the RenovAr 1.5.
The second auction round (called RenovAr 2) will take place in the first quarter of 2017.