Under the EU Directive 2009/28/EC member countries of the European Union are obliged to draft and submit to the European Commission National Renewable Action Plans (NREAPs) outlining pathway which will allow them to meet their 2020 renewable energy, energy efficiency and GHG cuts targets.
Belgium 2020 targets:
- Overall target: 13% of share of energy generated from renewable sources in gross final energy consumption;
- Heating and cooling: 12% of heat consumption met by renewable sources;
- Electricity: 21% of electricity demand met by electricity generated from renewable energy sources;
- Transport: 10% of energy demand met by renewable energy sources.
Support for renewables offered in Belgium (federal level only) established in order to successfully develop RE sector and reach above enlisted targets:
- Green Certificates schemes;
- Contribution to the ficing of connection costs for offshore wind parks;
- Tax reduction on energy-saving investment for individuals;
- Tax deductions for investments for the benefit of companies.
- Electricity end-uses