In response to the energy price crisis, the Portuguese government enacted in October 2021 an "Extraordinary package of measures on fuels" encompassing the following temporary measures :
- a temporary reduction of the Tax on Petroleum Products (ISP) applicable to gasoline and diesel.
- a AUTOvoucher discount: Fuel subsidy of EUR 0.10/litre (maximum of 50 litres/month) at gas stations.
- the suspension of the planned carbon tax increase on fuels.
- a subsidy to road passenger transport operators (buses and taxis), equivalent to EUR 0.10/litre (maximum of 50 litres/month).
In addition, targeted, permanent measures were implemented for the road freight sector from November 2021:
- an extension of the 50% reduction in the Single Circulation Tax (IUC) for road transport of goods.
- an extension of the 20% increase in Corporate Income Tax IRC on the purchase of fuels.