The United States is setting a goal of achieving net-zero greenhouse gas emissions from the aviation sector by 2050 in its publication of the United States Aviation Action Plan. To reach the goal, new aircraft technologies, sustainable fuel, and enhanced operations efficiency will be needed along with cutting airport emissions.
The actions envisaged in the Plan include:
- development of efficient aircraft and engine technologies
- production and increased use of Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF)
- electrification for short-haul aviation (e.g. Hydrogen)
- International initiatives such as the airplane CO2 standard and the Carbon Offsetting and Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA)
- Support for research into climate science