|Policy Type:||Policy Support, Policy Support>Strategic planning|
|Policy Target:||Multi-Sectoral Policy|
|Agency:||Ministry of Energy|
|Legal References:||Resolution on the Approval of the National Energy Strategy of 18 January 2007 No. X-1046;|
The National Energy Strategy (NES) until 2025 was drafted after accession of the Lithuania to the European Union in 2004 and it adjusts targets and directions for the energy sector of the state to the general energy strategy of the EU.
Provisions for the energy security of Lithuania:
- Energy security as a national security;
- Stable, environmentally friendly and economically acceptable of the energy supply;
- Integration of the Lithuanian energy sector with the energy systems of the EU.
In 2005 share of renewable energy resources (RES) in the national balance of primary energy increased up to 8.7% hence, Lithuania in 2005 was on track to achieve its 2010 target (set in the National Energy Strategy of 2002) of 12% of RES.
The Energy Strategy until 2025 sets following targets for the renewable energy sector:
- Overall target: to increase share of renewable energy sources in the national balance of primary energy by 1,5% each year to at least up to 20% by 2020;
- Transport: to increase the share of biofuels in the country’s market of the fuel used in transportation up to 15% in 2020 and up to 20% in 2025;
- CHP: to increase the share of the electricity generated by combined heat and power plants during the heating period in the national balance of electricity generation up to 35% in 2025.
- To diversify primary energy sources in Lithuania by reviving nuclear plants and rapid deployment of renewable energies;
- To improve energy efficiency in all sectors. The goal is to save 9% of final energy in years 2008-2017 in comparison to energy consumption levels in 2005;
- To decrease energy consumption;
- To connect Lithuania’s high tension electricity networks with the networks of Poland and Scandinavian countries by 2012;
- To improve energy sector management;
- To strengthen energy cooperation with other Baltic states.
|This record is superseded by:||National Energy Independence Strategy|
|This record supersedes:||National Energy Strategy 2002|
For the full text of the Lithuanian "National Energy Strategy until 2025" in English please, Click here to download.
year effective: 2007 (Jan 18th)
Last modified: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 12:35:58 CET