|Year:||1996 (reviewed 2003)|
|Policy status:||In Force|
|Date Effective:||1996 (reviewed 2003)|
|Policy Type:||Research, Development and Deployment (RD&D)>Research programme >Technology deployment and diffusion, Policy Support>Strategic planning, Research, Development and Deployment (RD&D)>Research programme >Technology development|
|Policy Target:||Solar>Solar photovoltaic, Multiple RE Sources>Power, Solar|
|Size of Plant Targeted:||Small and Large|
|Agency:||Ministry of Minerals, Energy and Water Affairs|
The Botswana Energy Master Plan sets out various goals for rural electrification involving the use of renewable energy. Various programmes are set out as follows:
1. Promotion of solar energy by the Botswana Government.
2. Integration of grid and non-grid technologies.
3. Encouragement of research and development with regard to renewable energy sources.
4. Identification of an appropriate institutional framework for rural electricity using renewable energy.
5. Development of strategies for removing the barriers to widespread use of renewable energies.
6. Promotion of women and children’s welfare through the provision of PV power generation (lighting).
Components 1, 4 and 5 of the plan are being implemented.
Last modified: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 15:59:43 CEST