Chillers produce chilled water that is used by space cooling equipment. MEPS covers water and air cooled packaged chillers with a capacity of 350kW or more that:
- Using the vapour compression cycle, and
- are driven by electric motors, and
- have temperature requirements:
- leaving chilled water temperature between 4 and 9°C, and
- (water-cooled condenser) entering condenser water temperature between 18 and 40°C, or
- (air cooled condenser) entering condenser air dry-bulb temperature between 13 and 52°C.
Chillers within the scope of MEPS are generally used to cool the air in large buildings, such as office blocks and commercial premises.
The applied standards are the following:
- AS/NZS 4776.1.1:2008: Liquid-chilling packages using the vapour compression cycle—Method of rating and testing for performance — Rating.
- AS/NZS 4776.1.2:2008: Liquid-chilling packages using the vapour compression cycle—Method of rating and testing for performance — Testing.
- AS/NZS 4776.2:2008: Liquid-chilling packages using the vapour compression cycle—Minimum energy performance standard (MEPS) and compliance requirements
- Building end-uses
- Building systems
- Space cooling