In 2016 Government of Quebec adopted Energy Policy until 2030. The goal of the Policy is to build a sustainable low-carbon economy of the region based on energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions.
Three pillars are guiding the Government of Quebec new policy: 1) energy efficiency; 2) energy substitution; and 3) change of behaviour.
The following orientations will guide the province energy transition over the next 15 years:
•Ensure an integrative governance approach to energy transition
•Favour a low carbon footprint economy transition
•Propose renewed and diversified energy supplies to consumers
•Define a new approach to fossil fuels
The policy sets ambitious targets to be reached by 2030:
• Become 15% more energy efficient
• Reduce oil products consumption by 40%
• Eliminate the use of thermal coal
• Increase total renewable energy production by 25%
• Increase bioenergy production by 50%