Considering the importance of wind, solar and sources including bagasse-based on sugarcane and from agricultural, bio-medical, mineral, industrial and other wastes and their potential in power generation, the Government of Maharashtra approved the Comprehensive Policy for Grid-connected Power Projects. Accordingly, the Government Resolution lists the details of the policy:
- 5000 MW of Wind Power Projects;
- 1000 MW of Bagasee-based Co-generation Projects;
- 400 MW of Small Hydro Projects;
- 300 MW of Biomass-based Power projects;
- 200 MW of Industrial Waste-based Power Projects;
- 7500 MW of Solar Power Projects;
- Total of 14,400 MW capacity power projects based on new and renewable energy sources are targeted to be installed in the next 5 years.