The law attempts to give a legal framework for the sale of renewable energy. It allows for independent generation and transport of electricity for national consumption or export. It covers all renewable energy sources, except for hydropower plants larger than 2 MW.
- The Law 3009/06 is implemented through Decree 9829. The Decree states that:
- Independent producers need to apply for a generating license.
- The tariff will be determined on a case-by-case basis during the licensing process.
- Non-discriminatory grid access is provided to renewables. Transport fees is set at USD 0.01 per km per MWh of electricity transferred.
- Self-generators can sell excess electricity at 70% of their prevailing electricity purchase tariff.
Finally, Article 12 of the Decree specifies that the bi-national hydro-potential can only be developed directly by the State through the National Administration of Electricity (ANDE).