This Policy document represents the revision to the Energy Policy Green Paper 2006-2020 based on national consultations and comments received by a wide cross-section of society as well as current realities facing Jamaica; and in keeping with the country’s long term plan to achieve developed country status by 2030 as articulated in Vision 2030 Jamaica – National Development Plan.
This Strategic Framework– the goals and strategies underpinning this National Energy Policy – is comprehensive and is expected to be durable to 2030 and beyond, yet be flexible and adaptable to meet new challenges and opportunities as they arise. It establishes a goal of 20% of renewable energy in the energy mix by 2030.
This Strategic Framework also addresses both supply and demand energy issues the country faces and as such places priority attention on seven key areas:
- Security of Energy Supply through diversification of fuels as well as development of renewables;
- Modernizing the country’s energy infrastructure;
- Development of renewable energy sources such as solar and hydro;
- Energy conservation and efficiency;
- Development of a comprehensive goverce/regulatory framework;
- Enabling government ministries, departments and agencies to be model/leader for the rest of society in terms of energy management;
- Eco-efficiency in industries.