In July 2012 the 12th Five Year Plan for National Strategic Emerging Industries for China has been announced by the State Council. The plan sets a goal to further develop new energy technologies such as: nuclear power, wind, solar PV, geothermal, biomass electricity generation and methane gas in order to actively advance the industrialization of renewable resource technology.
Multiple goals have been established:
- Construction of the 100GW of wind power base with an expected annual generation capacity to be achieved 190 billion kwh by 2015;
- Accumulated installed capacity of 200GW;
- Establish generation quota system;
- Scale up commercialization of the wind offshore equipment production ;
- Increase wind equipment production standards to the international standards;
- Focus on technology innovation in the sector of onshore and offshore wind;
- Establish efficient grid operation and management system applicable for wind power development.
- Draft and implement standards and regulations overseeing solar power and solar heat utilization;
- Establish efficient grid operation and management mechanism for distributed power generation for solar photovoltaic technologies and suitable pricing mechanism.
- Draft and implement standards and regulations overseeing biomass systems production and utilization;
- Improve biomass testing and certification system.
- Improve framework of incentives to trigger usage of forestry residue for biofuels and bioenergy production.