The Law regulates sector of renewable energies in Senegal.
The Law introduces renewable energy related definitions to the national legal framework.
Main goal of the Law is to:
- Create a suitable legal framework for sustainable development of renewable energy installations and projects;
- Decrease country’s reliance on fossil fuels;
- Increase security of energy supply;
- Diversify energy mix;
- Encourage and facilitate all means of domestic energy production;
- Promote the dissemination of equipment related to renewable energy technologies;
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions;
Ministry of Renewable Energies is responsible for creating suitable incentive schemes for renewable energy producers and suitable programmes.
The Law enlists following tax reliefs:
- Total tax exemption for purchase of materials and equipment necessary for the production of renewable energy for domestic consumption;
- Tax relief for acquisition of materials, equipment, exploitation or research in the field of renewable energies.
- Network operators are obliged to connect renewable energy plants to the grid.
Certificate of origin will be issued to renewable energy producers. Obtained certificate will allow the operator to benefit from various incentives.
The Law creatas basis for feed-in tariff scheme creation in Senegal.