Under the EU Directive 2009/28/EC member countries of the European Union are obliged to draft and submit to the European Commission National Renewable Action Plans (NREAPs) outlining pathway which will allow them to meet their 2020 renewable energy, energy efficiency and GHG cuts targets.
Finland 2020 renewable energy targets:
- Overall target: 38% of share of energy generated from renewable sources in gross final energy consumption;
- Heating and cooling: 47% of heat consumption met by renewable sources;
- Electricity: 33% of electricity demand met by electricity generated from renewable energy sources;
- Transport: 20% of energy demand met by renewable energy sources.
In order to achieve above enlisted targets Finland put in place following measures:
- Feed-in tariff;
- Long-term Climate and Energy Strategy;
- Biofuels promotion through number of different programmes;
- Actions to promote forestry and energy from wood chips;
- Renewable energy and energy efficiency requirements for buildings;