The Action Plan is closely matched with the "National Security Strategy" and provisions in the "Energy Sector Development Strategies in the Context of Economic Development".
The plan aims to:
- Provide reliable energy supply at low cost to satisfy the fundamental needs of all customers, while enhancing energy conservation;
- Implement an energy import strategy that mitigates the effects of external political events on the security and economy of Armenia;
- Maximise the use of domestic energy resources and nuclear energy; ensure the safe operation of the Armenian Nuclear Power Plant (ANPP) through 2016 (or when a suitable alternative is installed); and decommission without any unacceptable economic, ecological and energy security impacts;
- Ensure ecologically safe energy supply, based on the principles of sustainable development and in compliance with the international environmental commitments of the Republic of Armenia;
- Construct a ficially stable energy system, encouraging the economically efficient operation of all energy suppliers, which would bring forth interest among the investors;
- Create an export oriented electric energy system.
- The plan states that Armenia should transition away from fossil fuels, and that this move will benefit its budget.