Energy Law of the Republic of Armenia is a policy providing regulation for whole energy sector of the country.
Basic principles of the policy are:
- Efficient use of domestic energy resources and alternative sources of energy and implementation of economic and legal mechanisms for that purpose;
- Enhancement of the energy independence of the Republic, including the differentiation of domestic and imported energy resources and ensuring the maximum utilization of generating capacities;
- Enhancement of competition and efficient operation in the energy sector and creation of essential conditions for the development of a competitive environment;
- Encouragement of investments in the energy sector;
- Ensuring transparency of the licensed operations in the energy sector;
- Ensuring safety in the energy sector;
- Ensuring the protection of the environment.
Policy regulates applying and issuing licences to energy producers and distributers and regulation mechanisms.
Policy supersedes Energy Law passed on 9th June 1997 by National Assembly of the Republic of Armenia.