This strategic plan aims to increase the penetration of electric vehicles in the Netherlands. The aspirational target is that by 2020 10% of newly-sold passenger vehicles should have an electric powertrain. In addition, 75,000 private individuals should be driving an electric car by 2020, with 50,000 of these being second-hand and 25,000 new vehicles. By 2025, the aim is for 50 % of all newly-sold cars to have an electric powertrain. A minimum of 30 % of these, i.e. 15 % of all newly-sold cars, must be Battery Electric Vehicles.
To achieve these high-level targets, the strategy includes the following goals:
1. Improving and expanding the charging infrastructure for EVs. This mainly involves:
- the realisation of a sound business case - in cooperation with The Netherlands Knowledge Platform for Public Charging Infrastructure (NKL);
- making the most of the Funding Green Deal public charging infrastructure and for monitoring progress;
- formulating a shared vision about the future of the smart charging infrastructure, by managing the balancing and/or congestion of the grid, using electric cars for energy storage.
2. Improving the storage capacity of electric vehicles in relation to the variable use of renewable energy and grid stability. Upscaling of experimentation and research through the Smart Charging Living Lab.
3. Developing the consumer market.
4. Creating scope for leaders in the area of EV, and exploiting the international revenue potential.
5. Supporting innovation through working groups from the Light Electric Vehicles (LEV) market segments, as an alternative to short car trips, PHEVs (implementation of the action plan) and Heavy Wheels (Research & Development). The Parties recognise that a ‘disruptive innovation’ benefits from the existence of leaders who can accelerate the transition and can drive change. A regulatory framework and special funding arrangements are needed to create scope for this.
6. Creating broad and robust support for EV by means of a charm offensive.
7. Realising the upscaling of EV experiments that have already been carried out.
- Transport end-uses
- Private passenger transport