Recent increases in oil prices are cause for concern, IEA Executive Director tells IEF
Global oil expenditures breached 5% of the world’s Gross Domestic Product last year, just as they did in 2008 and other periods of sharp economic slowdown, IEA Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven has warned on Wednesday, 14 March in a speech to the 13th International Energy Forum in Kuwait.
14 March 2012
Ms. Van der Hoeven noted that just as the world was beginning to pull out of the 2008/9 recession, pressures deriving from higher crude prices have re-emerged. She added that it is not simply a case of richer countries grumbling about high oil prices as emerging markets are also vulnerable.
“We should all be worried about recent increases in prices,” Ms van der Hoeven said.
Read the full speech here
Browse IEA news by topic:
- Vehicle fuel economy report identifies regulations and tax policy priority pathways to reducing consumption
- IEA Executive Director calls for new push on energy efficiency
- IEA releases Oil Market Report for May
- Encouraging consumers to make more efficient transport choices
- OECD energy production hits record high, but consumption and CO2 emissions fall