Recent increases in oil prices are cause for concern, IEA Executive Director tells IEF
Global oil expenditures breached 5% of the world’s Gross Domestic Product last year, just as they did in 2008 and other periods of sharp economic slowdown, IEA Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven has warned on Wednesday, 14 March in a speech to the 13th International Energy Forum in Kuwait.
14 March 2012
Ms. Van der Hoeven noted that just as the world was beginning to pull out of the 2008/9 recession, pressures deriving from higher crude prices have re-emerged. She added that it is not simply a case of richer countries grumbling about high oil prices as emerging markets are also vulnerable.
“We should all be worried about recent increases in prices,” Ms van der Hoeven said.
Read the full speech here
Browse IEA news by topic:
- IEA Executive Director delivers keynote address to G7 Energy Ministerial
- Experts provide input for World Energy Outlook 2016 on how renewables can best help limit climate change
- 4th IEA Unconventional Gas Forum examines Latin America’s production prospects
- IEA Executive Director briefs Japanese PM ahead of G7 summit
- IEA highlights production growth outlook for Brazilian oil and biofuels even as demand dips