|Policy status:||In Force|
|Policy Type:||Regulatory Instruments>Other mandatory requirements, Economic Instruments>Fiscal/financial incentives>Grants and subsidies|
|Policy Target:||Buildings>Building Type, Residential Appliances, Buildings>Existing buildings|
|Agency:||Northern Ireland Utility Regulator|
The EEL was introduced to implement energy efficiency schemes for domestic consumers with the aim of reducing carbon emissions. However, with the eradication of fuel poverty steadily moving up the ladder of government priorities, and as a result of a consultative process in Northern Ireland, it was decided that the majority of levy funding (80%) would be targeted at helping to alleviate fuel poverty by improving poorly heated and inadequately insulated properties. The remaining 20% is available for energy efficiency and emission reducing projects in the domestic and business sectors. 2009/2010 was the last year of the EEL, as from 2010/2011 it became known as the Northern Ireland Sustainable Energy Programme (NISEP). The main features of the EEL remain but changes that were introduced included: allowing innovative and renewable technology schemes to be included in the bids for funding; opening up the right to bid to organisations other than licensed electricity suppliers (in a phased approach); and revising the target setting and incentives mechanism.
|25 Energy Efficiency Recommendations Applied:||Buildings, Improved energy efficiency in existing buildings, Energy utilities, Utility end-use energy efficiency schemes, Energy utilities|
Last modified: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:13:29 CEST