Policy status:In Force
Date Effective:2002
Policy Type:Economic Instruments>Direct investment>Funds to sub-national governments, Economic Instruments>Direct investment>Infrastructure investments, Research, Development and Deployment (RD&D)>Research programme , Voluntary Approaches>Public Voluntary Schemes
Policy Target:Commercial services/Tertiary
Funding:Eletrobras and other funding sources
Evaluation:Annual evaluation reports available at

Procel Reluz is a nationwide programme which provides funding for street/public lighting; this source of lighting is critical for traffic safety, beautification of urban areas, highlighting ​​monuments, buildings and landscapes, and allowing better use of recreational areas, thus increasing tourism, nightlife, and social and economic development. The Procel Reluz initiative seeks to implement energy efficiency projects in public lighting systems and traffic signals by replacing incandescent, mercury vapour lamps with high-efficiency sodium vapour and high pressure metal vapour lamps. In some cases, replacement of incandescent bulbs by systems that use light-emitting diodes (LEDs) lowers energy consumption by 90% and decreases the lifespan of the light. Municipalities interested in including efficient public lighting projects can go directly to local electricity utilities, which will negotiate a funding request to send to Eletrobras. Electrobras funding will cover up to 75% of the total value of the project, with the remaining 25% coming from municipalities or utilities.

The categories of projects eligible for funding by Procel Reluz are:

  • Public lighting systems improvement
  • Expansion of public lighting points
  • Improved stoplight signalling
  • Public lighting system redesign
  • Accent lighting (aka special lighting)
  • Sports arenas or public area lighting
  • Innovative lighting technology

Last modified: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:38:04 CET