The IEA expresses its condolences to the Japanese people
Agency emphasises readiness to act if it is needed
13 March 2011
In the wake of the tragic earthquake that struck northeast Japan, IEA Executive Director Nobuo Tanaka expressed his sincerest condolences for the lives and homes lost. He said, “The IEA stands with the Japanese people. I would like to emphasise our strong support and readiness to act should energy supply become a concern.” The IEA will continue to monitor the developments in Japan, in close consultation with Japanese authorities, and is ready to help in any possible way.
See the letter from the Executive Director to the Japanese Economy, Trade and Industry Minister.
Browse IEA news by topic:
- Renewable energy continuing to increase market share
- Transport, industry and flexibility are the greatest challenges in achieving a carbon-neutral Nordic energy system
- Exploring the future of the IEA – China relationship
- IEA Executive Director voices support for Indonesia’s energy reforms in meeting with Vice President
- IEA releases Oil Market Report for July