IEA Chief Economist to receive Japanese Emperor’s Order of Rising Sun
The Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon to be conferred on Fatih Birol
4 November 2013
IEA Chief Economist Fatih Birol will receive the Japanese Emperor's Order of the Rising Sun, the Japanese government announced on 3 November.
The award, one of Japan’s most prestigious honours, is being given in recognition of the guidance Dr. Birol has provided to Japanese policy makers for close to two decades on issues of energy security, environmental protection and economic development through his work leading the World Energy Outlook (WEO).
Dr. Birol was invited to receive the award in person at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on 12 November 2013. However, that day he will be releasing the 2013 edition of the WEO with Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven in London. The Government of Japan has therefore offered to host a conferment ceremony in Paris early next year.
Browse IEA news by topic:
- IEA Executive Director delivers keynote address at World Nuclear Exhibition
- IEA releases Oil Market Report for June
- IEA brings together energy efficiency experts from across the globe
- Policy support and technology progress helps electric cars worldwide surge past the 1 million milestone
- Measuring the value of next-generation wind and solar power