IEA Chief Economist to receive Japanese Emperor’s Order of Rising Sun
The Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon to be conferred on Fatih Birol
4 November 2013
IEA Chief Economist Fatih Birol will receive the Japanese Emperor's Order of the Rising Sun, the Japanese government announced on 3 November.
The award, one of Japan’s most prestigious honours, is being given in recognition of the guidance Dr. Birol has provided to Japanese policy makers for close to two decades on issues of energy security, environmental protection and economic development through his work leading the World Energy Outlook (WEO).
Dr. Birol was invited to receive the award in person at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on 12 November 2013. However, that day he will be releasing the 2013 edition of the WEO with Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven in London. The Government of Japan has therefore offered to host a conferment ceremony in Paris early next year.
- Energy Efficiency Market Report 2015 highlights cuts in greenhouse gases from investments in energy efficiency
- IEA Deputy Executive Director explores enhancement of ties with Brazil
- IEA Executive Director and Mexican Secretary of Energy open a new chapter in IEA-Mexico co-operation
- IEA Executive Director and OPEC Secretary-General hold talks
- IEA chief receives support in Brussels for modernisation push