IEA Chief Economist to receive Japanese Emperor’s Order of Rising Sun
The Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon to be conferred on Fatih Birol
4 November 2013
IEA Chief Economist Fatih Birol will receive the Japanese Emperor's Order of the Rising Sun, the Japanese government announced on 3 November.
The award, one of Japan’s most prestigious honours, is being given in recognition of the guidance Dr. Birol has provided to Japanese policy makers for close to two decades on issues of energy security, environmental protection and economic development through his work leading the World Energy Outlook (WEO).
Dr. Birol was invited to receive the award in person at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on 12 November 2013. However, that day he will be releasing the 2013 edition of the WEO with Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven in London. The Government of Japan has therefore offered to host a conferment ceremony in Paris early next year.
Browse IEA news by topic:
- Vehicle fuel economy report identifies regulations and tax policy priority pathways to reducing consumption
- IEA Executive Director calls for new push on energy efficiency
- IEA releases Oil Market Report for May
- Encouraging consumers to make more efficient transport choices
- OECD energy production hits record high, but consumption and CO2 emissions fall