IEA Chief Economist receives the Order of the Polar Star
13 December 2013
On 11 December 2013, IEA Chief Economist Fatih Birol was awarded the Order of the Polar Star (Nordstjärneorden) by King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden in recognition of Dr. Birol's significant contribution to a deeper understanding of the complex interactions between international energy markets, the economic drivers for growth and the effects on the climate and the environment.
The Order was presented by Anna-Karin Hatt, Sweden's Minister of Enterprise, Energy and Communications at a special reception and attended by a number of ambassadors, both from IEA member countries and others, as well as high-level officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Enterprise, Energy and Communications.
After recieving the award, Dr. Birol presented the findings of the 2013 edition of the World Energy Outlook at the Swedish parliament.
Browse IEA news by topic:
- Vehicle fuel economy report identifies regulations and tax policy priority pathways to reducing consumption
- IEA Executive Director calls for new push on energy efficiency
- IEA releases Oil Market Report for May
- Encouraging consumers to make more efficient transport choices
- OECD energy production hits record high, but consumption and CO2 emissions fall