Follow her! IEA Executive Director is now tweeting
@VanderHoeven_M uses social media platform to tout new commentary on coal published on CNN
17 January 2014
IEA Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven has joined Twitter, and her early tweets have ranged from drawing attention to a commentary she wrote for CNN about coal to pointing out the four IEA energy policies that could keep the 2°C climate goal alive.
Ms. Van der Hoeven’s first tweet, on 14 January, read, “Welcome new followers! Looking forward to connecting & sharing views of what will and should be in energy.” Within hours, she had more than 100 followers, and by the end of the week more than 500. In that week, she chronicled her travels to Kazakhstan and Abu Dhabi, including a meeting with Kazakh Prime Minister Serik Akhmetov about the country’s co-operation with the IEA as well as Kazakhstan’s strong position to expand hydropower and benefit from solar and wind generation.
The CNN opinion piece, "Black tide of coal overwhelms climate goals", was published ahead of the World Future Energy Summit in Abu Dhabi, which Ms. Van der Hoeven is attending. The commentary addresses coal’s role in the widening gap between hopes for a clean, sustainable and universally available energy system and the reality of current energy usage and related emissions.
Follow IEA Executive Director Maria van der Hoeven at https://twitter.com/VanderHoeven_M/
Browse IEA news by topic:
- Exploring the future of the IEA – China relationship
- IEA Executive Director voices support for Indonesia’s energy reforms in meeting with Vice President
- IEA releases Oil Market Report for July
- Mission Innovation, a global partnership that seeks to accelerate clean energy innovation
- Lower oil prices are driving down investment and energy efficiency as Middle East producers gain market share, IEA says