Working together to ensure reliable, affordable and clean energy

energy Russia energy china flag

Banner Image Nordic Energy Technology Perspectives
Get Adobe Flash player
SHARE THIS PAGE  ico-Share

Nordic ETP 2012 data visualisation

How can the Nordic countries meet their national climate targets and achieve a carbon-neutral energy system by 2050?

After the success with the visualisation of interactive data and figures to highlight potential scenarios for the Energy Technology Perspectives 2012, the IEA now releases a similar visualisation, focused on the Nordic region.

This two-part interactive visualisation relies on the data and figures behind Nordic Energy Technology Perspectives, the spin-off project to IEA’s flagship publication on energy technologies. The infographics illustrate how the overall energy system will evolve from now to 2050.

  • The Emissions Reduction visualisation allows you to quickly and easily see what impact countries, technologies and sectors may have on carbon dioxide emissions in the decades to come.
  • The Energy Flows visualisation focuses on the transport, industry and buildings sectors, highlighting the different fuels (from oil to biofuels), sectors (from petrochemicals to residential) and end uses (from water heating to lighting) that will be affected in the years ahead according to the CNS.

The visualisations use the latest data from Nordic ETP.

 

Notes:

Emissions reductions

  • Total emissions include industry process emissions 
  • Transport emissions include 50% of the emissions from international shipping and aviation that arrives or departs from each country or region. 
  • End-use energy efficiency also includes avoided transport demand (e.g. through remote communication)
  • Reductions from electric vehicles and fuel cell vehicles are split into an energy efficiency improvement component and a fuel switching component

 

Energy flows

  • Transport energy consumption includes 50% of the fuels consumed by international shipping and aviation that arrives or departs from the Nordic region

 

Energy consumption

  • Residential energy consumption by end use in the buildings energy flows topic is heating degree-days corrected for 2010.


 

 

Scenarios

The Nordic 4 Degree Scenario (4DS) represents the Nordic contribution to Energy Technology Perspectives 2012, 4DS. In this scenario, concerted efforts are made to move away from current trends and technologies, with the goal of reducing both energy demand and emissions. In this scenario, net Nordic CO2 emissions decrease by 29% compared to 1990 levels, whereas primary energy supply increases by about 6% compared to 2010 levels.

The Nordic 2 Degree Scenario (2DS) represents the Nordic contribution to Energy Technology Perspectives 2012, 2DS. The 2DS at a global level describes an energy system consistent with an emissions trajectory that recent climate science research indicates would give an 80% chance of limiting average global temperature increase to 2°C. It sets the target of cutting global energy-related CO2 emissions by more than half in 2050 (compared with 2009) and ensuring that they continue to fall thereafter. Importantly, the 2DS acknowledges that transforming the energy sector is vital, but not the sole solution: the goal can only be achieved provided that CO2 and GHG emissions in non-energy sectors are also reduced. Nordic emissions decrease by 71% in the 2DS scenario compared to 1990 levels.

The Nordic Carbon Neutral Scenario (CNS) is the most ambitious scenario, and goes beyond those analysed in ETP 2012. It reflects the national climate targets in the Nordic countries for 2050 - the governments of Sweden and Norway have expressed goals of carbon neutrality, Denmark aims for a completely renewable energy system, while Finland and Iceland have visions for deep emission reductions. The countries aiming for carbon neutrality are expected to achieve a minor part of their reductions through the purchase of international emission reduction credits. For this reason, the CNS sees Nordic CO2 emissions fall by 85% by 2050 compared to 1990 levels, with the remaining 15% offset. The 85% reduction is in line with the domestic emission reductions envisioned by the Nordic governments, and is consistent with the decarbonisation scenarios of the EU Energy Roadmap 2050. See chapter 2 for a detailed discussion of national targets.