EBC at IEA Ministerial Meeting - 17-18 November 2015
The Energy Business Council (EBC) meeting at the IEA Ministerial was held on 17 and 18 November 2015 at the OECD Conference Centre in Paris under the theme "Innovation for a Clean, Secure, Energy Future". Ministers from the 29 IEA member countries, 9 accession and partner countries (Brazil, Chile, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Morocco, the People’s Republic of China, South Africa and Thailand) plus the EU were joined by around 30 chief executives and other top executives from energy producing and consuming companies.
The event was hosted by IEA Executive Director Dr. Fatih Birol and chaired by the Hon. Ernst Moniz, Secretary of Energy, United States in his capacity of the Chair of the 2015 Ministerial Meeting, with participation of the OECD Secretary General, Mr. Angel Gurría.
DAY ONE - 17 NOVEMBER
The opening session included welcome remarks from:
• Ministerial Chair, U.S. Secretary of Energy, H.E. Dr Ernest Moniz
• IEA Executive Director, Dr. Fatih Birol
First Plenary Session: Spurring Innovation to Accelerate the Energy Transition and Achieve Climate Objectives
• H.E. Mr Ibrahim Baylan, Minister for Energy, Ministry of the Environment and Energy, Sweden
• H.E. Mr Sudirman Said, Minister of Energy and Mineral Resources, Indonesia
The session was followed by 3 parallel break-out sessions, where Ministers and industry leaders had informal and open discussions on three key issues
• Collaborative R&D – IEA Implementing Agreements and other innovative platforms for efficient and effective international collaboration on clean energy research, development and deployment – moderated by Mr Mauro Gregorio, President Energy & Feedstocks, Dow Chemical Company.
• Urban systems – Energy ministries’ role in promoting sustainable urban energy systems – moderated by H.E. Ms Doris Leuthard, Federal Counsellor, Head of Federal Department of the Environment, Transport, Energy and Communication, Switzerland.
• Finance for clean energy access – Finance to support innovation in OECD countries, in emerging economies, and in Africa– moderated by Mr Bruno Lescoeur, CEO, Edison S.p.A.
After the welcome reception which included remarks by H.E. Ms Ségolène Royal, Ministry of Ecology, Sustainable Development and Energy, France, the first day of the ministerial meeting ended with a Working Dinner which focussed on the theme: "Paris 2015 / COP21: The Role of Government and Industry in Promoting Technology Development, Innovation, and Investment in Clean Energy Technologies", including an opening speech from H.E. M Laurent Fabius, Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Development, France.
DAY TWO - 18 NOVEMBER
Ministers and industry leaders convened again in the morning of 20 November. The opening session included a report back of the 3 parallel break-out sessions held the day before:
• Collaborative R&D – Report back by Mr. José Ignacio Sanchez Galán, Chairman and CEO, Iberdrola
• Urban systems – Report back by Mr. Pekka Lundmark, President and CEO, Fortum Corporation
• Finance for Clean Energy Access – Report back by Mr Anders Runevad, CEO, Vestas
This was followed by a Plenary session on the theme: Assessing Energy Security in the Global Context
• H.E. Mr. Nuer Baikeli (Nur Bekri), Administrator, National Energy Administration, People’s Republic of China
• H.E. Mr. Máximo Pacheco Matte, Minister of Energy, Chile
• H.E. Mr. Rainer Baake, State Secretary, Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWI), Germany
• Ministerial Chair Summary
• Joint Ministerial Declaration on the occasion of the 2015 IEA Ministerial meeting expressing the Activation of Association
• Mexico plans to join International Energy Agency
- EBC and Joint Session GB meeting - March 2017
- EBC meeting at Ministerial - November 2015
- EBC and Joint Session GB meeting - June 2015
- EBC and Joint Session GB meeting - December 2014
- IEA Energy Business Council - March 2014
- EBC meeting at Ministerial - November 2013
- EBC and Joint Session GB meeting - June 2013