|Year Implemented||1996 (reviewed 2003)|
|Policy Status||In force|
|Agency||•Ministry of Minerals, Energy and Water Affairs|
•RD & D
•Technology Deployment and Diffusion
•Multiple Renewable Energy Sources
|Size of Plant Targeted||Small and Large|
|Description||The Botswana Energy Master Plan sets out various goals for rural electrification involving the use of renewable energy. Various programmes are set out as follows:
1. Promotion of solar energy by the Botswana Government.
2. Integration of grid and non-grid technologies.
3. Encouragement of research and development with regard to renewable energy sources.
4. Identification of an appropriate institutional framework for rural electricity using renewable energy.
5. Development of strategies for removing the barriers to widespread use of renewable energies.
6. Promotion of women and childrens welfare through the provision of PV power generation (lighting)
Components 1, 4 and 5 of the plan are being implemented.