Fatih Birol took over as Executive Director of the IEA on 1 September 2015.
Deputy Executive Director
Paul Simons became Deputy Executive Director on 8 July 2015, helping provide leadership and strategic direction to the IEA. Prior to joining the Agency, Mr. Simons was a senior United States diplomat with a background in energy and economic policy.
The IEA has three Directors who report to the Executive Director. They manage teams of analysts and experts who focus on: i) energy markets and security; ii) sustainable energy policies and technologies, iii) enhancing a global dialogue on energy, and iv) longer-term economic and energy policy scenarios and outlooks.
Recent speeches and articles
The IEA Executive Director and Deputy Executive Director deliver speeches on a broad range of energy related subjects throughout the world.
FAQs on Executive Management
How long does the Executive Director serve? How many IEA Executive Directors have there been? This section includes answers to questions relating to the IEA's Executive Office.
Executive Director's Diary
- 1 June 2016: Seventh Clean Energy Ministerial | San Francisco
- 8 June 2016: Launch of Medium-Term Gas Market Report 2016 | Brussels
- 27 June 2016: Launch of WEO Special Report on Energy & Air Quality | London
- 28 June 2016: World Nuclear Exhibition | Paris
- 29-30 June 2016: G20 Energy Ministerial meeting | Beijing
- IEA Executive Director voices support for Indonesia’s energy reforms in meeting with Vice President
- IEA Executive Director travels to Beijing for G20 Energy Ministerial
- IEA Executive Director delivers keynote address at World Nuclear Exhibition
- Clean Energy Ministerial Secretariat finds new home at the IEA