What we do
Founded in 1974, the IEA was initially designed to help countries co-ordinate a collective response to major disruptions in the supply of oil such as the crisis of 1973/4.
While this remains a key aspect of its work, the IEA has evolved and expanded. It is at the heart of global dialogue on energy, providing authoritative statistics and analysis.
An autonomous organisation, the IEA examines the full spectrum of energy issues and advocates policies that will enhance the reliability, affordability and sustainability of energy in its 29 members countries and beyond.
The four main areas of IEA focus are:
- Energy Security: Promoting diversity, efficiency and flexibility within all energy sectors;
- Economic Development: Supporting free markets to foster economic growth and eliminate energy poverty;
- Environmental Awareness: Analysing policy options to offset the impact of energy production and use on the environment, especially for tackling climate change; and
- Engagement Worldwide: Working closely with partner countries, especially major economies, to find solutions to shared energy and environmental concerns.
- +33 (0)1 40 57 65 00
- 31-35 rue de la Fédération
75739 Paris Cedex 15 France
- Monday - Friday, 9-5 CET